Advantages of Mobile Learning
- June 26, 2017
- Posted by: Rohit Negi
- Category: Collaboration, Mobile Learning
Mobile Learning (also known as m-learning), by definition, is an educational system conducted via portable computing devices, including tablets and smartphones. According to UNESCO’s statistics, more than 6 billion people use connected mobile devices. It also confirmed that people accessing the internet through computer systems are half in numbers than those who access it from mobile devices.
Mobile technology has been changing the way we learn and the way we live, ensuring instantaneous learning anywhere and anytime. WIth the power to make learning widely accessible and available, there are multiple advantages of mobile learning.
Since the inception of mobile technology, we all have been making use of mobile learning directly or indirectly. It is nothing but the ability to provide and obtain educational resources on mobile devices. Despite of ongoing disputes among educators regarding pedagogical aspect of mobile learning, it has become the immediate descendent of e-learning.
Apart from making content accessible, mobile learning also helps in creating content, both outside and inside classrooms, and in connecting people. It also supports broad educational goals, including improved communication and effective administration.
Many of the educational institutes and corporate firms have already started leveraging on the advantages of mobile learning. Following are some of those examples:
- Offering learning: Making audios, videos and texts accessible on mobile devices.
- Synchronous learning: Providing immediate feedback and grades.
- Interaction: With instantaneous messaging system and chat sessions, users are able to interact with other and faculty.
- Accessibility: With mobile learning, it is possible to access learning material anytime and anywhere. It allows users to process, access and gather information both outside and inside the classroom. This encourages and helps in bridging classroom, after classroom and home environments.
- Wide Reach: With increasing use of handheld devices, it can help in reaching and motivating for advancing digital equity. Even people from economically disadvantaged communities can be connected and helped with learning.
- Social Interactions: Mobile learning has the ability to foster and promote communication and collaboration, which is one of the key aspects of any type of learning methodology. With boosted social learning, it develops a sense of cooperation and collaboration, which in turn enhances learner engagement.
- Engagement: A learning process is always inclusive of both non-verbal and verbal communication, wherein both focuses on grabbing one’s attention. On the same line, adaptation of mobile learning can bring multiple opportunities to elevate collaboration quotient on a social or digital level. This new digital dimension is capable enough to alleviate the sense of boredom in people’s mind.
- Self-paced: People are able to learn in their own way and at their own speed with mobile learning. Studies show that some of the people face problem in understanding the concepts clearly in classrooms and hesitate to clarify the same. In the case of mobile learning, people have the freedom as nobody cares or knows the number of times you revisit the same content.
- Flexible: Mobile learning has helped in overcoming many of the barriers related to other technological methods, as it fits perfectly with different learning styles. Be it researching on internet, listening to podcasts, watching videos or just reading, mobile learning encompasses all.
Edvanta Recipe: With Totara Learn
Not just Totara Learn, but other platforms like Totara Social that Edvanta offers, are designed to be completely responsive and work on multiple portable computing devices. Edvanta’s team of experts ensures that the user interface seamlessly adjusts depending on the device’s resolution and aspect ratio.Edvanta also offers feature-rich mobile app, which can be customised as per the requirement and preference of the client.